Friday, November 10, 2006

linen woes, fo's, election throes

Thank goodness I am finished knitting the linen hand towel.



Pattern: Mason-Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Euroflax linen in champagne
needles: US4 circs

I haven't done the part where I wash it and it gets all drapey, mainly because I'm not sure how I'm supposed to wash it. I know, there should be (and probably is) a ballband around here... but I want to know the BEST way from someone with experience. Machine or hand? line dry? block with pins? soap? what kind? Please advise.

Another FO:



Pattern: borrowed from the Harlot
yarn: wool ease from my stash
needles: US10 1/2 dpns

Penguin Boy recently became a 5th grade safety patrol, and some of those autumn mornings at 7:20 a.m. were a little nippy, so I thought he needed a hat. I knit him one. He loved it. He wore it two days. It got lost. I never even got a picture. But I made him this one, and he likes it too, so yay.

Speaking of yay... welcome to the brave new world of the post-November 7 political landscape! I didn't dare post anything until Allen conceded yesterday at 3 p.m. (the movie maven and I sat in the car for about 15 minutes on a perfectly perfect fall afternoon just to hear the moment on c-span radio). Hooray for Virginia! Hooray for northern Virginia! Hooray for my city, Alexandria, which went 2 to 1 for Webb (and, by the way, also went 2 t0 1 against the ignorant and bigotted marriage amendment, which passed anyway, the only dark spot of the election outcome)! Hooray for the brilliant, self-correcting democratic process!

Oh, it's going to be so much more fun to watch senate judiciary committee hearings.

Finally, gratuitous autumn poodle shot:

1 Comments:

Blogger amisha said...

hey there,
when i washed my linen dishcloth, i just tossed it in the machine with a load of wash! with that elann linen, i can now say that this is not a good idea as the pilling and general rattiness was not a pretty sight. (the ball band on that one said hand wash, but i figured if it was going to be a dishcloth it needed to be tough!) i have heard... somewhere... that the euroflax is a lot better with the machine washing. i'd probably wash a swatch in the machine before tossing your towel in-- which is beautiful, by the way! :) then since it's lace, a partial machine-dry then stretch to dry?
congrats on allen. that was a nail-biter... i'm glad your state came through!

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home